On 11th November 2021, between 14:00-16:00 CET, the Young Academy of Europe (YAE) in collaboration with the Academia Europaea (AE) Budapest Knowledge Hub will host an event for researchers who are interested in applying for the next round of European Research Council Starting Grants (ERC StG), with the ambition of widening participation to researchers from EU13 and Associated Countries.
In 2020, we organised a very well-attended virtual ERC StG mentoring event focused on providing guidance and support to applicants from countries under-represented among funded proposals. The event also included domain-specific break-out rooms with grant-writing advice by current YAE members who had successfully navigated through the process. The recordings from these sessions are available on our website.
The second instalment of our mentoring events will be focused on how the ERC’s evaluation panels work and how decisions within evaluation panels are made to recommend a grant application for funding. This is an important opportunity for applicants to gain key insights into what makes a successful ERC application and a better understanding of the evaluation process.
The online event will include two parts. First, a plenary information session with a representative from the ERC Executive Agency (Janka Mátrai), and a talk by the ERC National Contact Point leader in Hungary (Gergely Bőhm) on typical comments of ERC evaluation reports. The main part of the event will include three parallel sessions, each with a mock ERC StG evaluation panel by domain: Physical Sciences & Engineering (PE), Life Sciences (LS), and Social Sciences & Humanities (SH).
Registration is free and can be done by clicking the button below:
- 14:00-14:05 Opening (Gemma Modinos, YAE Chair; Éva Kondorosi, AE Budapest Hub Co-chair)
- 14:05-14:30 Information session, The European Research Council: Funding opportunities and application and evaluation process (Janka Mátrai, ERCEA)
- 14:30-14:45 Common mistakes and highly valued elements of ERC applications as seen by ERC evaluators (Gergely Bőhm, NCP Hungary)
- 14:45-15:00 Q & A
Moderator: Katalin Solymosi (YAE, AE Hub)
Parallel break-out sessions (15:00-16:00 CET)
- Domain PE (4 Panellists: László Forró, HAS; Eystein Jansen, AE; Katalin Kamarás, AE; Marcel Swart, AE), Moderator: Alina Mihaela Badescu (YAE)
- Domain LS (4 Panellists: André Aleman, KNAW; Éva Kondorosi, AE; Mandy McLean, AMS; Ole Petersen, AE), Moderator: Gemma Modinos (YAE)
- Domain SH (4 Panellists: Marcel den Dikken, KNAW; Poul Holm, AE; Miklós Koren, AE; Peter Wagner, AE), Moderator: Pawel Korpal (YAE)