Nominations should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be assessed by the YAE Selection Committee on a rolling basis throughout the year. Prospective members may nominate themselves or may be nominated by a current member of the YAE, the Academia Europaea, a European National Young Academy (ENYA) or a senior national academy.
The nomination package (to be submitted as a single PDF file) must contain:
- Application form
- Brief curriculum vitae, including a list of most important publications (max. 3 pages)
- Statement of interest indicating, among others, their willingness to actively contribute to the YAE mission (1–2 pages)
- Two letters of nomination by current members of the YAE, the Academia Europaea, an ENYA or national academy, from two separate countries (one can be the candidate’s own country), as we expect individuals to have contacts with established scholars across Europe. If you work in a country or field that is not well-represented in our membership base, please contact email@example.com to discuss other possible options.
- Copy of the candidate’s PhD certificate (essential!)
At the discretion of the Selection Committee, these requirements can in exceptional cases be adapted.
Note that we will only consider full nomination packages including all of the above documents. Nominations can be sent directly via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of the YAE are leading young scholars who meet the eligibility requirements listed below:
- are outstanding researchers with recognised national/international excellence
- have a wide interest in science and science policy at the European level
- have demonstrated leadership abilities (e.g., group leader; principal investigator status; primary supervisor of PhD students)
- are presently carrying out research in the European Union or an associated country*
- have obtained their PhD ≤12 years ago (with credit given for e.g., childcare: 18 months per child for women, time taken off for men; national service).
*associated countries are: Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Iceland, Israel, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, plus United Kingdom and Belarus, as per our bylaws.
The YAE is open to leading young scholars whose excellence has been recognised by their peers (for instance, holders of prestigious European or national research grants or awards).
As of 9th February 2017, having been selected as a member of an ENYA may be considered as having passed the criteria for YAE membership. Presidents of these ENYAs may propose candidates directly to the YAE Board, together with their CVs and short statement of motivation.
The decision by the YAE Selection Committee on the admission of new members will be based on the scientific qualification and achievements of the candidates, as demonstrated by their CV and the recommendation letters, as well as their willingness to actively contribute to the YAE. These points should be clearly addressed in the submitted documents.
Membership incurs a fee of 40€ per year to support administrative and legal duties/costs (instructions on how to pay can be found here). Members will automatically become alumni after 7 years.
Detailed information on the general admission criteria as well as the domain-specific criteria are indicated in this document.
For additional information, please contact email@example.com.