The Young Academy of Europe (YAE) is a data controller and is committed to protecting your personal member data and working in accordance with all relevant data protection legislation. Your data is used only for member engagement activities. This Privacy Notice explains how the YAE processes and uses the personal data we collect about our members.
WHAT DATA DO WE HOLD?
The YAE may hold data relating to you from a number of sources. The majority of data we hold on members is that which you provide either during your nomination and election process and during the subsequent membership acceptance period, when you complete one of our data forms, subscribe to our newsletter, when you make an annual membership contribution, or make a donation or payment for other purposes, or engage with us in any other way, for example as an invited panel expert.
Our records may include any/all of the following:
- Educational and professional academic information.
- Personal identifiers and biographical information – for example, date of birth, current and past employment, a photograph, publications and research records and similar information, as well as awards, honours and other indicators of international standing as an academic.
- Contact details – institutional and/or private address data, email addresses, website URLs, telephone; these are updated according to a notification we receive from you.
- Preference information – how we communicate with you.
We may also augment data you provide with data that is publicly available; for example, we may record your career details and other achievements taken from your institutional/employer public website or personal website, or other publicly distributed media sources.
By attending YAE events you consent to the use of your photographs and/or films on the YAE website and for the promotion of YAE activities.
We are required to ensure that data we hold about you is as accurate as possible, therefore we may update your details based on reliable publicly available sources; for example, we may update your address, telephone number or business details and email address. We do not purchase personal or professional data from third party sources, directories or other such media.
By accepting membership of the YAE, you are agreeing to make your personal data available to us only for the purpose of maintaining your active membership and for internal organizational and communication purposes. We do not keep any personal financial information (such as bank or card details) other than a simple record of your annual membership payments (amounts and date paid) for the purpose of membership administration.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR DATA?
The YAE is a bottom-up initiative of a dynamic and innovative group of recognised European young scientists with outspoken views about science and science policy. As a not-for-profit organization, we seek to promote the expertise of our members. The YAE therefore primarily uses your data to communicate information about the individual expertise of members to the wider public, and to enhance the collaborative opportunities across disciplines within the organization and for the promotion of benefits and services to members. These can include:
- Maintain the membership list of the YAE and corresponding financial contributions, and the annual group meetings.
- Send you information about official announcements, elections and (changes in) the regulations of the YAE.
- Send you information about activities, meetings and other information of interest to YAE members.
- Send you information about calls for participation in SAPEA and other science policy advice mechanisms.
- Nominate you for participation in science policy and other activities.
- Nominate you for prizes, memberships in committees, etc.
These activities may include you being contacted by the YAE office, by the YAE Chair and Vice-Chairs, or by members of the YAE Board.
We communicate with individual members predominately by e-mail and e-newsletter, and very rarely by telephone.
If you do not wish to be contacted at all by any means, please contact the YAE Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The personal data will be stored for as long as you are a member or alumnus of the YAE.
HOW WILL WE SHARE YOUR DATA?
Individual member data is accessible only to the individual member themselves and also to authorized members as follows: All member data is securely accessible to YAE Board and Office. Part of the data (First and Last name, email address) are available to Academia Europaea for their newsletter purposes.
- We may share data with other individual members on request and for bona fide activity within the scope of the YAE mission, as duly authorised.
- Data is never shared with other organisations to enable other charities to contact individuals in a non-approved manner.
- The YAE does not sell data, or allow third parties to sell on our data where that data has been shared for legitimate and authorised purposes.
HOW DO WE PROTECT YOUR DATA?
Member data is held securely on a membership database that is held and managed by the YAE Office. Individual members may access and manage their personal data by contacting the YAE Office. A copy of the membership database is held by the YAE Office for member financial contribution and newsletter subscription management purposes. The data are stored on a European cloud provider’s server.
As a member you have the right to:
- Ask to see, correct, or delete the data we hold about you.
- Object to specific data uses, as described above.
- Object to receiving communications and direct marketing.
- Ask for the transfer of your data electronically to a third party.
- Withdraw your consent to us processing your data at any time. However, this does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your consent before its withdrawal.
- Decide on the scope of communication with the YAE.
If you ask us to delete your data (you can do this by sending an official email to email@example.com), this effectively will mean resignation from membership. Under these circumstances we will retain a skeleton record comprising a name, membership number, and date of election and resignation. You will then cease to be contacted in any way by the YAE. No financial or other records will be retained.
Unless you specifically opt-out from receiving any form of communication from the YAE, we will continue to keep you informed about the activity of the YAE using our traditional methods of monthly newsletter and email. Our electronic newsletters all have the option to unsubscribe from receiving future mailings. If you do opt-out from all general mailings (through all channels), we will still contact you on an annual basis in connection with the membership contributions. You have the option to ask to be put to “no mail”, which effectively makes you an inactive member. This means you will not receive any information about YAE events and activities and you may miss on an opportunity to actively participate in those activities.
The request for the consent of the data subject is based on the legal justification for processing your data according to Article 6 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679.
The legal basis for processing your personal data for the purposes as described above is that it is necessary for the pursuit of our legitimate interests to support our mission as a registered charity.
This Privacy Notice will be kept under review. Any changes will be posted and updated on our website and you should check this page on a regular basis to make sure that you are aware of the latest version.
You can contact the YAE Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any queries or concerns about how we process your personal data.
This Privacy Notice was updated in July 2020.
More information on GDPR:
Download the document YAE Privacy and Data Protection Policy.